Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Dieting with Dad

My dad had the gastric bypass surgery about 12 years ago and lost tons of weight and looked great. After all the stress of losing my brother, their house and health problems, he's put lots of it back on. I'm worried about him carrying so much weight at his age so I'm going to make this years priority to help him lose the weight and keep it off this time. After having 2 kids and having post partum I gained a good 20 pounds or so myself. At age 39 I decided that I wasn't going to just exercise but find something healthy that I liked to do. I quit trying to lose weight and focused on being healthy. I ended up being active for about 3-4 hours a day while the kids were at school. I bought P90x and did it religiously. I also ran a 6k for fun with my 8 year old and enjoyed it so I started running. I bought a watch to track my miles and I started eating healthier so I felt like running. I ended up losing 40 pounds and have kept it off for a year now. I run daily and I've done 5 races now 3 1/2 marathons and 2 full marathons. I was never a runner until now. I'm going to start a diet with dad blog and see if I can motivate my pops to lose that weight and get healthy. He has a long way to go but I know he can do it. He's an ex pro baseball player and a great motivator so this time I'm going to help him. Its his birthday next week so my gift will last him a lifetime. Wish me luck and I will keep you posted!

No comments: