Sunday, February 24, 2008

Do they ever really get potty trained?

Okay so I have to say that the potty training really never stops OR should I say the accidents never really stop. My son tells me almost weekly that he thinks he had a little accident in his pants. I'm always thinking that he's four and these things happen but then he tells me that he needs to "haul butt" to the bathroom and before he gets his pants down he blows out all over the floor and on my nice white toilet seat. Why does this happen? Well, I have come to the conclusion after hanging out with many of my mom friends that boys like to hold things until its too late. They prefer playing over taking care of business and I have to say that my husband still likes to wait up until we are going to leave to go somewhere before he announces that he has to sit on the throne. It wouldn't be so bad if he was as quick as me and just got in and got out BUT noooooo, he has to stay on that throne for at least 20 minutes to 1/2 hour before he feels complete. Why is that I wonder? Hmmmm, maybe it's his alone time but regardless I have to say that it sure irritates me when I'm the one waiting by the door with my purse in hand. This is why I feel my son never really grasped the concept of proper potty etiquette. You can't wait until the last minute to go because accidents will happen.

So this brings me to our recent bike ride where he wanted to take his bike up to town for a hot chocolate and whatever else he could beg me to buy in the sugar department. We went to the local bakery and I let him pick out his goods and of course he didn't eat any of them. I ended up eating all of it as usual and the reason why having kids puts weight on you and not off you...don't listen to the mom's who tell you chasing kids will get the weight off- LIES!

On our way home from our bike ride I always remember to tell my son to stop at all the street corners and not to venture out in the street on his own. This time was different, he turned to me and said, "Mom, we need to haul butt home and no stopping along the way for streets. I have to poop and it's coming NOW". I didn't argue with my 4 year old and we quickly jumped on our bikes and started to ride. Every corner my son yelled, "Can I go into the street?" I would check and let him ride across because I was probably more scared of the accident about to happen then he was. I would be the one of course to clean everything up.

We finally made it home and just as I expected...he pulled down his pants and right before he hit the toilet the explosion happened all over the floor and all over the bathroom seat. It was off to the bath for another clean up and quick refresher on not waiting too long to go.

I have a feeling that I will be cleaning up poop for a long time! Ahhhh, pooping and parenting go together like a hand in a glove!

No comments: